Friday, September 26, 2008

Where Have I Been?

It has been TOO long since I have blogged. There is so much to report. My summer of self-improvement is finally happening, thanks in part to my perseverance, and also to my impulsiveness. Last Thursday night, after a delicious dinner with Greg Schmitt and half of the LaSalle class of 08, we were walking back to the car when Clare said "Mar, do you want to get your ears pierced?" I stopped in my tracks. "Um, ok." I don't know what came over me-perhaps the sweet 'n sour chicken had some kind of strange effect on my brain, or maybe I just got sick of myself and all the empty commitments I make. Whatever the reason, I found myself sitting in the "piercing chair" at Claire's, gripping a stuffed bear, and holding Clare's hand. OUCH! First ear done. Oh god, time for the second. OUCH! Second ear done. Or so I thought. "Oh, well hm, it looks like I forgot to put the back on. We're just going to have to do that one again."I looked at the piercing lady in a whole new light. Her face was pure evil, and I wanted nothing more than to rip the stapler out of her hands and pierce her eye. Not to worry though, I made it out alive (as did she) and my new bling adds a great deal of elegance to my look. It even inspired me to straighten my hair! Who knew two diamond studs would have such an impact on my appearance?!?
The next morning, I was feeling particularly cute, so I put on a sundress, a little mascara, bronzing powder, haviana flips, my north face backpack and breezed out the door. I was feeling FLY! My hair hung slightly past my shoulders, straight, yet voluminous, and was sparkling in the sun. The entire walk to class, all I could think about was how I was going to strike up a convo with Crush. I sat in my desk, trying to plan my attack. But guess which cute, tan, freckled boy decides to skip class that fateful day? That's right-Crush! I was devastated. All that work for nothing. But as always, I got mad, I got strong, wiped my head, shook it off, then I stood. There is always the rest of the semester.

I am currently home for the long weekend and loving every minute of it. And as I blog, I have behind me the epitome of my Friday nights. Kate, Cathy, and Ellen, and HP#1 playing on the screen. Is it odd that I enjoy spending time with my sister's friends in the short time I am home? NO! And in all fairness, Kate is my cousin, and Cathy may as well be one. They both are basically permanent fixtures in my house. Ok, I am off to take a bath. And finally read the Brother's K (courtesy of Madge.)
Dumbledore is omniscient and the greatest character in American lit, with the exception of Atticus Finch.

-Martha
Ps, an open question to all of you in the blogosphere: what is the best way for a girl who has spent the last four years at an all girls school to initiate a rapport with a beautiful boy?

3 comments:

Jamil said...

Martha! Your blog is so entertaining! I'd even venture to say that it's somewhat of a substitute for the real you while you're away. Can't wait for you to get back! My days just aren't as hilarious without you.

Grassyllama said...

Mar, good to have ya back and blogging! Also glad to hear you're reading the Brothers K (and bathing, for that matter).

Advice on talking to boys...hmmm, try asking about something in the class...like, "so, what is our paper supposed to be on...what are you going to do yours on?" or something like that...OR since he's a soph and you're a fresh you could ask him something about housing or credits or majors/minors or where the admissions office is..blah blah blah

AJK said...

wowza with the ear piercing!

I would suggest 'accidently' slamming into him, making him drop his books- you apologize and help him pick up his things- make joke about being clumsy- badabing badaboom